In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 310
Online now 369 Record: 11761 (2/27/2012)
The Web's No. 1 forum for coverage and discussion of Terps sports
Visitor discussion of University of Maryland and college sports
A place for lively discussion for all other sports unrelated to Maryland athletics
Feedback for IMS and 247Sports
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
I'll have a report card later, but some quick thoughts:
1. Obviously, about as big a win as you can get. Terps just need to play well the rest of the way and not suffer a letdown to make the tourney, which is a concern for a young team after a game like that. Or it could go the other way and boost their confidence.
It also eases a lot of the criticism on Turgeon. Some felt he wasn't capable of winning this kind of game. And it's never a bad thing to win that game, in that environment, with tons of football and basketball recruits in the stands. Big momentum builder in that respect.
2. To beat Duke when you commit 26 turnovers is astounding. They made up for it by playing great post defense and bullying their way to the free throw line, though they also could have made it easier by not missing so many.
3. This is the game everyone's been waiting for from Alex Len. Whatever the staff said to him this week, it worked. He went toward the hoop on post feeds all night and played with a ton of confidence. He plays like that all year and we're debating whether they get a six seed, rather than whether they make the dance. He showed up tonight on both ends.
4. Seth Allen got a ton of criticism for all of the turnovers, and rightfully slow. He was loose with the ball and appeared to be frazzled. The combination of that series of second-half fouls and his turnovers brought Duke back in it. Not having Pe'Shon Howard to steady things also hurt. That said, you have to admire the way he kept his head up and made some plays late. He's not a point guard, so it's not like going against Duke's guards in a pressure environment was an easy task. He showed a lot of mental toughness.
5. The role guys -- Padgett, Mitchell and Cleare -- collective made a big contribution. Padgett didn't play a lot, but that was still one of the better performances you'll see out of him.
6. I thought Turgeon coached an excellent game. You can definitely question that last timeout, and maybe not switching Wells off Curry early, but Curry was going to torch anyone they've got.
More later ... Feel free to chime in.
This post was edited by JeffErmann 14 months ago
6. duke frontcourt to bake cookies and leave the inside play to the real mens
Jeff we need a double up on up votes for tonight.
7. I love you all.
This post was edited by JJBittenbinder 14 months ago
Im ready for aa 5th of vodica to end my feels.
1 Suspend Pe'
2 Turn it over 26 times
So impressed with the way Seth Allen bounced back. Everyone makes mistakes, it's how you respond that shows your character. He responded by winning this game for us.
Seth is not a PG and despite what some continue to say, IMHO he will never be one. Handling the ball at the top of the key and initiating an offense...he is one of the worst guards I've ever seen at that.
But he is going to be an incredible combo/2 guard here.
Get him off the ball where we don't have to rely on him being the primary ballhandler and he's going to be very very good.
If you're broadcasting a game, tell it the way it really is, but keep your opinions to yourself...!
Hahaha. Good post.
Jeff, I agree with much of what you said.
I think, however, that Seth Allen can be and has a chance to become a PG. He's more unfocused than loose with his handle (although he's definitely loose with his handle).
But, more than that, you have to be REALLY proud of the way he stuck with it. He could have wilted tonight after all those terrible TO's, but he didn't. That says something really good about him, I think.
I got the shotgun. You got the briefcase. It's all in the game though, right?
I'd just like to mention that today is my birthday and thank you Terps for the gift.
Such a bad post.
He was just the starting point guard for a team that beat a #2 Duke team.
As a freshman.
Yes, it's time to write him off as a PG.
In the post game interview, Turgeon said he told him Plumlee treats him like his little brother.
26 turnovers and still winning has to be some kind of record, right? There's no way in hell that's supposed to happen.
Another thing to add to the list: held them to 6/19 from 3. Great outside D tonight.
#3 is spot on.
The timeout was wierd, Bilas said that maybe he did it because they are so young and he wanted them organized on D. Don't know if I buy it, because Cook still got a decent look.
But hey it worked out for us!
This post was edited by cmterpsnskins 14 months ago
Coach K salty
Where are you watching/listening?
Without question, Allen has bounce. He's tough to square-up one-on-one.
As bad as Seth was with some of those turnovers, he was really the only option in terms of running the offense. Faust and Dez both looked a lot worse in that department. I think we'll have to live with the turnovers to some extent, but I'd love it if Seth could get it to click that if he slows it down a little bit he could cut down on like half of his turnovers. Chuck too is another one who is responsible for a lot of turnovers only through rushing.
Props to Padgett, I think lost among other players he had a very good game tonight
I think our offense played very well, Len in particular, but really how bad is Duke's defense? We scored more points than we've scored in a long time and it seemed like we scored on every possession we didn't turn it over. Duke is a bigger paper tiger than usual.
For the love of god lets win against BC, Clemson, GT, and Wake. Those teams are bad. Win those games and the games against UNC and UVA are tourney play-in games.
This post was edited by neal990 14 months ago
I really think this is it. We don't know where to go/have lapses even in the best of times. No way I leave it to those (lovable) boneheads to get the defense right on their own.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports