In partnership with CBSSports.com
The Web's No. 1 forum for coverage and discussion of Terps sports
Visitor discussion of University of Maryland and college sports
A place for lively discussion for all other sports unrelated to Maryland athletics
Feedback for IMS and 247Sports
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
At this point, I think we can all agree that Turge appears to be in over his head in regards to in game coaching. UVA is not 10 points better than us talent wise, especially at home. That game wasn't even remotely competitive for the second half. I'm trying to understand the rationale of some of his decisions, hoping someone can make sense of it.
1. Why didn't we push tempo the entire game? It took us being own 15 with about 15 mins left for Turge to turn on the press and pick up the tempo. UVA plays so slow, they won't even attack the press if they beat it, so why not press the entire game?
2. Why did we let UVA dictate our roster? At home, that is something that would NEVER happen with Gary as the coach. We started the second half with Layman at the 4 - obviously to match up against what they were throwing at us. We should be forcing UVA to substitute based on our mismatches, not vice versa.
3. Why does the offense still (try) to run through Len? It's obviously he's not comfortable backing guys down. True, he didn't get a lot of touches this game, but out of timeouts, it was obvious the message was go to Len. Yes, he may be a number 1 overall pick, but frankly, he was a liability on the court today. He couldn't defend anyone and he was a complete non factor on offense. I would reduce his minutes even more.
4. Why did we continue to give up wide open 3s to their white guys? You could see it coming from a mile away, I have no idea how we couldn't adjust defend the 3. Sure, UVA shot great, but you're coming off Duke shooting over 50% from three a couple weeks ago as well. At some point, you need to adjust your defense.
5. What kind of offense DO we run and why don't we push pace even more than we did today? We're turning the ball over a shit ton already in our crappy halfcourt sets, why not more aggressively attack the rim on the break, even if we don't have numbers?
6. Why are the players' fundamentals worse as the year as gone on? We're horrible from the free thrown line, it seems we've forgotten how to hedge on screens, no one seems to have a good handle, we still make boneheaded plays, etc. So maybe we have a team of morons, but at a minimum, they should be improving fundamentally. This to me is my biggest concern. It's obvious that really no one on the team is improved over the course of the year.
What I would do: Press all game. Overplay passing lanes. Stop doubling down. Force tempo and run run run. Regardless of numbers, attack the basket on all missed shots. Not get out coached every single game.
This post was edited by Joesmith32 17 months ago
A true point solves many issues,but not missed foul shots/doubling down on D and leaving proven 3 pt. bombers wide open/puzzling rotation/Brick's BB IQ.
I'm sorry, we need to stop thinking we are so talented. We're pretty athletic, but we're really not that talented. We don't pass or shoot well and today we didn't rebound or play defense.
Our offense does not run through Len.
I think we should press more, but not the whole game. We should use a press to surprise the other team as that when it works best. It should have been in the gameplan from the opening tip against a team like UVA. That said, we managed to get them 80 points which is impressive. When we were supposidly a good defensive team after playing our cupcakes, people said that we were fine on D for that reason. Well now we stink in the half court too, might as well try something.
I 1000000% agree with you about Turgeon letting other teams dictating our lineup. We changed starting lineups earlier in the year (forget the game, but I bitched it about and got shot down). Make them pay for going small by going big for a little. Turgeon lets the other coach dictate way too much about a game, and it is not a fun trend to watch.
This is what we do. We like to believe our players are better than they are. Smotrycx has already been deemed the best player we have and Roddy Peters will be our pg savior. Hopefully both of these things will be true but it usually just leads to disappointment.
You have to score to be able to press.
And Turge tried to dictate the lineups by going big today -- at one point Len, Mitchell and Layman were out there together, but that meant Mitchell or Len had to check Anderson. Anderson made us pay, but Len couldn't do shit on the offensive end. So Turge went away from it.
The fact is, we've been more successful when we've matched up to our opponents defensively and then tried to eek out enough offense on the other end. We don't take any advantage of our size on the offensive side because our guards are awful at entering the ball to the post, and our big men have almost no moves.
Pic Sigs are for losers.
The same one that kung fu gangs tried to use against Jackie Chan. Bring a gang of twenty, then have them attack, one guy at a time.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports