In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 668
Online now 747 Record: 11761 (2/27/2012)
The Web's No. 1 forum for coverage and discussion of Terps sports
Visitor discussion of University of Maryland and college sports
A place for lively discussion for all other sports unrelated to Maryland athletics
Feedback for IMS and 247Sports
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
Goal: You are trying to put together the best team to win as many titles in a 5 year span as possible. You can essentially use a given player's 3 best years for this, but it would make taking a guy like Walton very risky/ stupid. Essentially, you will be competing in a playoff against all the other teams. Each round is a seven game series. After the championship, a hypothetical 10 months will pass and then the tournament will begin again.
Snake draft, 9 rounds - 5 starters, 3 bench players, 1 coach. Order of picks: round one normal, 2 reverse, 3 reverse, 4 normal and alternating in normal snake fashion for the remainder.
- When making your pick, please star or bold your picks i.e. (***player*** or [ b ] player [ / b ] - without the spaces)
- No discussing undrafted players
- There are a lot of rounds and a lot of picks, so please pay attention to where the draft is and when you're up.
Draft order (random):
ONCE DRAFT IS COMPLETE:
1. Finalize your roster. This means including the years for each player and any stats/ awards you want to call out (Finals MVP, DPOY, etc.)
2. Create a brief philosophy for your team (this doesn't have to be too in depth - as we'll let you guys really get nit picky in the one on one matchups). By philosophy you could include things like:
- Who are your starters? How many minutes does everyone play?
- What is your basic offense? (options) Who is your crunch time lineup? How flexible is your team?
- How does your coach use his strengths to improve your team?
- What are your defensive strategies/ principles?
Everyone should PM me with their team blurb by Friday at 5 pm.
I'll compile these and send them to the rest of the judges. If you don't submit one, we'll go only by your roster and make assumptions ourselves.
Each judge will rank the teams 1-14. We'll average the judges scores for each team, and seed them appropriately.
- The Bracket will NOT be published until all first round games are completed
- In the playoff, I will not include the seeding numbers so as not to influence anyone judging. Only I will know the seeds.
- The top two teams in the tournament will get a bye. I will PM the top two teams and let them know of their bye AND of who they would play in the next round. These are the advantages of getting one of the top two seeds.
- For all other teams, I will send everyone individually the team they will be matched up against.
- We'll start three matchups on Monday at around 9am. The owners of the two teams will have 24 hours to make their arguments and then starting Tuesday, the voting will begin.
- The judges and players listed in the first post can vote. Voting will last for another 24 hours.
3 games will start on Monday, the other 3 will start on Tuesday. Each matchup will get it's own thread. We'll keep this open for general discussion.
Full draft results below:
This post has been edited 29 times, most recently by chrs0049 13 months ago
If you're so smart, why aren't you rich?
I'd be so down.
BTW if you haven't seen this, it's hilarious http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHbdbj4TRfw
I love stuff like this. IN.
I'm in. I will crush
Sure. 3rd round should probably be flipped as well.
Does it really matter as much for this draft? There are so many all time greats that by the third round we are all just trying to pick for our team and there will be so much talent left it shouldn't really matter. I don't care much either way, but I don't think by third round it should matter too much. It's just choosing one top 50 great or another
One thing I know from experience of doing hypothetical drafts on this board is that we better determine how it's going to be judged before it starts, not after. I'd suggest 3 posters who are recognized NBA fans on the board who would rather judge than participate in drafting.
Sounds good. They can all make list of best teams 1-14 and we can get average ranking from that.
Couple of other things: Are we basing this on entire careers or just a one season, in their prime,100% healthy scenario. Or just guess what the judges would want? Matters greatly for a guy like Walton. Also, how to handle international players? Sabonis in his 20's was one of the greatest centers of all-time. NBA Sabonis with his legs shot, not so much.
count me in
I'm fine with switching the 3rd round if everyone is.
Here's the goal of this: You are trying to put together the best team to win as many titles in a 5 year span as possible. You can essentially use a given player's 5 best years for this, but it would make taking a guy like Walton very risky/ stupid. Essentially, you will be competiting in a playoff against all the other teams. Each round is a seven game series. After the championship, a hypothetical 10 months will pass and then the tournament will begin again.
So far we got:
-Jellis, you replied but wasn't sure you wanted in or not?
That's 11 w/out me or Jellis. I might resort to being a judge since I was hoping to get this done today and I might be away for the large part of Friday.
from my experience with these things on this board, it is not ever a one/two day process. If you only plan on being away a day, send someone your potential picks and stay in it if you want in it
I'd like to be a judge
No, I'm not in this. I'll probably follow along casually and make fun of bad picks.
Can the judges be people who will not just see which team has Jordan or Lebron and rank them first or second blindly?
Did you mean just get the teams set today or the whole thing done? Remember, we've got a game tonight that we'll have to leave early to.
im in. I got nothing to do until i piss myself on st pattys.
I had meant get everything done today - of course that's when I started this thread at 10am and thought there'd be a lot of people heading home early or home already and have nothing else to do.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports